Friday, February 6, 2015

My Favorite Guacamole


Last month when I went home to California I was blessed to get some avocados from my in laws. They have the BEST avocados!!! We have avocados from California shipped here, but they don't taste as great. My in laws taste like butter! Amazing flavored butter! They ripened quickly here like most things do and so I had a large amount that were ripe at the same time. We made guacamole after church one day and ate the whole batch right then.


Aren't these beautiful? 
My Favorite Guacamole

4 or 5 avocados
tomato, chopped
Cilantro, at least half the batch
limes juice from 2 or 3 limes
Red onion, chopped
Garlic Salt

Scoop out the avocado goodness into a bowl. Mash it with a fork or potato masher. I don't like my avocados all the way mashed. It's good to have some lumps. Add chopped onion, tomato, and cilantro and stir that in. Now I always eye how much to add. You want it to be colorful, like your eating a rainbow. Then using my juicing tool from Pampered Chef I add quite a bit of lime (we don't want to waste any juice.) . Now add quite a bit of seasoning. Then grab a spoon and sample. If you can't taste the lime or garlic add more as needed. Stir well and throw some pits back in there to keep it from going brown. Although you might just eat it all in one sitting like we did as we played Book of Mormon Who that Sunday afternoon.

We ended up using a white onion because it is what we had and it was the Sabbath. And since we forgot to buy chips the day before we cut up corn tortillas with a pizza cutter and fried and salted them. They were awesome. 

I also wanted to share this fun new addition to our family room. 


I love it our new space!

Before we moved my hubby got a new to us TV off a friend. We were super thankful it fit in the space we have available in our family room. I was bummed our Entertainment center didn't work in this house but we found a way to make the best of it. But our TV left this giant hole that I really didn't like. I tried to find a piece to buy to put it in there but wasn't happy with anything.



Then I thought I could make something but as I was figuring out the wood costs it didn't seem worth it as we are hoping to buy a new place in year or so. I didn't want to make something that might not work in our next place. Then I got an idea. I was about to post a picture of an old desk hutch from my hubby's old desk on a garage sale page. It was sturdy and a great piece of wood. Then I realized it was perfect for this spot.

I painted it white and we were all set to only to realize it was about two inches too tall. My hubby said our little cutting tool wouldn't be able to cut it. So we used it as a shelf next to our couch. It has been serving as a perfect storage for baby girls toys. And for therapy we have been using it to help her bend and reach objects. It was the perfect height for her to be on her knees and play and then to help her stand and put toys on the top. My intent was to find someone with a better saw to help us cut a little shorter, but I am thankful it worked as a good resource for physical therapy.

Now that she has moved on to trying to stand on her own and I feel more comfortable cutting wood with our tool thanks to my wood map sign, I tried last week to cut shorter. It ended up working out great, I just had to go really slow. I love that we were able to reuse something we already had to fix a problem. I love saving money and making my home more beautiful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment