Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Fat Tuesday!!!


It's that time of the year! Fat Tuesday!!! We have been celebrating Mardi Gras since Gandalf was a baby. In 2008 I learned about King Cakes. My of my favorite people, Leslie, had just returned home from a mission for our church. Her husband were serving as Mission Presidents. They were in charge of the missionaries in Louisiana. The King Cake is a symbol of Christs' crown. Inside of the cake you hide a bean or plastic baby. Whoever gets the piece of cake with Baby Jesus inside gets to be King or Queen of Mardi Gras. I love the religious aspects of this holiday.  




Every year my kids look forward to eating this cake and hope to find Baby Jesus in their piece. We try to dress in Mardi Gras colors and we might even put on some jazz music.

My sweet treasure!!

Having friends over makes it a party! 



I learned this clever trick from Kristen Duke where you can guess where the baby is by putting in a stick or straw. So much more fun! Before I would have them line up and I would slice it up for them. This year I must not have put it in very well. I knew who would have the baby before I was cutting that piece.

Can you spot the baby???

And the King of Mardi Gras in 2015 is....


My sweet Yoda!!!

He was pretty excited. But them just wanted to play with his friends. Baby girl loved the cake. For the recipe check out Todays Mama. Before I used a recipe from the Food Network, but last year I tried this one and the it's SOOO much better. It's a moist sweet bread with cinnamon and lemon zest. And there is lemon juice in the glaze as well. I also found this recipe using Grands Rolls if you were in a hurry but still wanted to celebrate with your family. 

Hope your Fat Tuesday was wonderful!! For more February traditions check out here. Today is also Shrove Tuesday. I will post those pictures tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment