Saturday, July 4, 2015

Our Visit to Independence Hall


IMG_9609
While in California our family visited Independence Hall next to Knott’s Berry Farm. It has been on my “To go” list for awhile. And when my mom asked if we would like to go with her it was perfect. My mom used to take us there as children. It wasn’t till I was quite older that I realized it wasn’t the Independence Hall. It’s a great place to visit because it’s free, but it also is a great teaching adventure.

IMG_9533
Consistent with Walter Knott’s wishes, Knott’s Independence Hall remains a free-admission resource. Independence Hall presents an audio retelling of the dramatic debate that led to the drafting of the Declaration of Independence and the creation of the United States of America. The Hall also offers historical exhibits including a replica of the Liberty Bell and a 1790s horse drawn carriage. (For more information click the above link)
You receive a free hour of parking in the MarketPlace. And if you purchase a little something you can receive two additional hours. My mom did buy us a little copy of the Constitution, which is a great thing for every family to own.

IMG_9537
Above is the room where you can listen to the audio for the discussion about whether they should declare themselves independent from England. They do a great job calling certain people by name to give you a better idea of who is speaking. And each desk has a quill that lights up when they are speaking. It was great to listen to. I had forgotten certain parts myself. And what a great thing to listen to so you can spark additional conversation with our children the importance of Independence. At the end they express their feelings that they hope future generations will recognize the sacrifices they have made. It was wonderful to share this important event in American History with my kids. And my kids really enjoyed it.
IMG_9541
There is also a large room with replica’s of The Declaration. And they also have a little picture for each person who was a part of this moment in history. And a little bit of information about that man. They have statues showing General Washington and Betty Ross.
IMG_9549
I love this picture of my children shooting at this red coat. I took it just for my dear friend Alex who is on summer holiday back home in England. I would love her to take her children here and see what she thinks of the place.
stairs
We were so glad to bring Gandalf’s dear friend Percy with us as well. They have been friends since they were babies and he is always a delight. And quite a ham when it comes to taking pictures. And Percy also loves history and all things America. We had a great time! Baby girl loved seeing American Flags. They make her happy. And I love how Draco will randomly start singing the Star Spangled Banner. He has learned so many songs at his school about our country. He loves singing songs about America.

IMG_9553
"Resolved, That these United Colonies are, and of right ought to be, free and independent States, that they are absolved from all allegiance to the British Crown, and that all political connection between them and the State of Great Britain is, and ought to be, totally dissolved…”  Richard Henry Lee
IMG_9545
"We must be unanimous; there must be no pulling different ways; we must hang together."
John Hancock, July 4, 1776
IMG_9546
"My hand trembles, but my heart does not."
Stephen Hopkins, Rhode Island delegate
 
IMG_9591
"We hold these truths to be self-evident:
"That all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness…” Declaration of Independence

IMG_9584
"May the foundation of our new constitution, be justice, Truth and Righteousness. Like the wise Mans house may it be founded upon those Rocks and then neither storms or tempests will overthrow it."
Letter from Abigail Adams to John Adams, July 13, 1776
IMG_9558
Indenpendence Hall copy
It was a great day with my mom. I am so glad I could take my children to this important place, even if it is only a replica. I am really hoping we can save and go on tour next summer with MCO, the wonderful choir my husband and sons sing in, and see even more historic and important places. I am so thankful for this great nation and the brave men who risked their lives to stand up for what they believed was right. I don’t think we are the best country in the world. But I love this country. It belongs to me and my heart swells when I hear song’s about our country. I have a testimony that these men were inspired by God to create this nation. I am so thankful for the freedoms I enjoy. I am so thankful that this country was prepared for the Restoration of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. A Gospel that can bless the whole earth. A Gospel that has established a church that has more members outside of the United States than in the United States.
I have yet the wonderful opportunity to travel outside the United States. But I hope that someday I will. And I hope that I can teach my children to love and respect this country. And to be like those brave men and stand up for what is right. I certainly don’t agree with everything our country has done. And as my children grow they will learn about that as well. I want my children to love this country and defend it. But also to love other countries because they too are our brothers and sisters. And my sons might just be a missionary in a distant country someday.

IMG_9605
I love this country. And I am so thankful for Independence Day so our family can reflect on the courage of those brave men. We can remember and show our gratitude for what they have done. God Bless America.
Yoda being Silly
And who can resist a silly boy. Who loved photo bombing pictures of Independence Hall. I love him dearly.
For more quotes about our country click here.


No comments:

Post a Comment