Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Lion House Rolls Recipe


Sometimes I feel bad that I can't give my children everything my heart desires. One thing that I can and do give them is homemade bread. One of my favorite friends taught me how to make bread and it has blessed my life so much. With very cheap ingredients I can make my family some thing simply amazing.

In Salt Lake City at Temple Square there is a Lion House Restaurant. Being a native Californian I have learned it is a pretty awesome thing to have your wedding lunch at this historic place. Their Lion House Rolls are their most famous item. They are truly amazing. I love making them for Thanksgiving or any other special family gathering. My kids absolutely love them. They know Lion House Rolls are tastier than any other roll.

I encourage you to try them yourself just to see what all the hype is about. You may find yourself wondering, "What else do the Mormon's know?" (Because they are that good.) You then are welcomed to contact Mormon missionaries or request a free Book of Mormon. Learning from missionaries had blessed me even more than these yummy rolls. 

Lion House Rolls

2 T yeast

2 C. warm water

1/3 C butter or shortening

1/3 C. Sugar

2 ½ tsp salt

2/3 C nonfat dry milk

1 egg

5 to 5 1/2 Cups bread flour

Mix your water, milk, and yeast. Let stand about 10 minutes till foamy. Add sugar, salt, butter, egg, and 2 cups of flour. Using your dough attachment (or by hand if you are still saving up for a mixer) Mix on low till wet and then increase speed. Stop and add flour until your dough is soft and not super sticky.

Place dough in a greased bowl and cover with a damp towel or plastic. Allow it to rise until doubled. Scrape onto a silicone mate and roll it out to a large rectangle. Then using a butter knife cut the rolls into long  2 inch strips. Roll your strip on to itself two times. Usually I make about 18 rolls.

Place them on your stone ware or silicone baking mats. Cover them with plastic wrap and let them rise again for another hour or so. Bake at 375 degrees anywhere from 15-20 minutes.









No comments:

Post a Comment