Sunday, November 23, 2014

Our Family History Traditions: Remembering Jack


Years ago I came across a recipe from my Grandmother that I never made. I decided to make it on her birthday to remember her. And thus one of my favorite traditions was born.

On each of mine and my husbands Grandparents birthdays we celebrate and remember them by making their favorite dessert. It is a great way for our children to feel connected to their Great Grandparents, some of them they have never met. My second son Draco kept talking about my Grandma Happy and how much he loved her. I was kinda surprised because he didn't know her that well and wouldn't kiss her goodbye. (He is my grumpiest child) Then I figured it out!

He loved the dessert we made for her birthday!

Yesterday we talked about my husbands Grandma Jack. We have his picture up in our house. My second son and husband carry his middle name. My kids know him even though only my eldest son has met him when he was a baby. But as we share stories about him over Cherry Cobbler, and I quiz my sons about his life, we feel a connection. And they can develop a love for him and look forward to when they can see him again.

Isn't he handsome?
I love my hubby's grandpa! He was a kind gentle man. He adored his wife and daughters. He was active in his church and loved to play baseball. He loved The Lord and his family. I cherish the time I was able to spend with him. One of my favorite memories was when we were sitting in his living room and I was asking him all kinds of questions he stopped me and said, "You really care, don't you." I assured him that of course I cared, he was family. I knew it touched his heart that I saw value in his life and wanted to know about him. Grandparents are important and aren't here on earth long enough. 


Pictured above is that special day when we were able to go to the temple as a family and seal Grandpa and Grandma to each other forever. I believe that marriage can be eternal. That is why temples are so important. Because they enable family relationships perpetuate beyond the grave. I love Jack dearly and look forward to seeing him again someday. I know that if I invest time and teach my sons and daughter about him they will will know him and will gain strength from his good life. I am sure he is looking out for them. And his heart of full as he sees his posterity remember him.

Cherry Cobbler
From "Grandma Suzie"

Made to celebrate Grandpa Jack 


2 Cans of Cherry Pie Filling (I usually put an extra can or two because my family really likes the thicker filling)
2/3 Cup of Water
1 Yellow Cake Mix (any kind, or even white)
1/2 lb. of Melted Butter (not margarine)
(I added a little brown sugar and oats too)
1 Small package of Chopped Pecans (optional; we use more...like 1 1/2 cups.....or even walnuts)
I add 1/4 c of brown sugar and oats

            Pour Cherry Pie Filling into a buttered or "Pammed" pan (9 x 13).   Pour the water over the pie filling.  Sift the cake mix over the top of filling and water.  Pour the melted butter over all.  Cover with the chopped nuts.  Bake for approx. 45 minutes at 350 degrees.  Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream. 


We love using this special recipe from my dear friend Suzie! She is a great example and lovely in all things. She is so great at gathering with her family and is always cooking for them. I knew I would love her recipe.

 I leave out the nuts. If you half this recipe and add a 1/4 cup of brown sugar and 1/4 cup oats and serve 8 slices you would have about 45 carbs per serving.

Baby girl loves her great grandpa and his favorite dessert 

No comments:

Post a Comment