Wednesday, November 12, 2014

My Mom's Zesty Green Beans



One of my favorite dishes at Thanksgiving is my Mom's Zesty Green Beans. She started making them when I was in High School and I just love them!!! I think there was mention of not having them one year and I was not happy.  I am not a big fan of "cream of "anything or casseroles. My family never did the Green Bean Casserole that can be popular this time of year. But  I love having vegetables to off set all the potatoes and pie I want to eat. This dish has crispy green beans with lemon and bacon (always a win!).



 My Mom’s Zesty Green Beans

2 lbs green beans
½ C pine nuts
6 slices of bacon, cut into little chunks
1 tsp lemon juice
¾ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
1 T lemon zest

Cook green beans over medium high about 5 minutes till toasted. (sometimes I will steam them. Be careful not to over steam them. You want them bright green.) Toast the pine nuts in a pan. Remove and set aside. Start cooking your bacon in a pan until they are crisp. Remove bacon and place on a plate with paper towels to absorb extra grease. Add green beans to your bacon grease and pan fry till heated. Remove beans and toss with zest, juice, and salt and pepper. Add toasted pine nuts and bacon and toss.  Enjoy!


 Hope you enjoy our family favorite! Looking forward to sharing more Thanksgiving recipes soon.



No comments:

Post a Comment