Monday, September 22, 2014

Baby Elsa Costume Tutorial




   Halloween is probably my 2nd favorite holiday (right below Christmas). Before I married my sweet heart I made him promise to have matching Halloween costumes every year. Of course when we had our first son we included him in our theme. To be honest, I am surprised our kids still are on board with doing a family theme. I thought for sure when they started school they would want to do their own thing.
   I was thinking Avengers or Lord of the Rings for this year because I have 3 boys. I asked them last year (because I plan way in advance) and they said they wanted to do Frozen. Super Surprised. But I have no problem letting my baby girl be Elsa. They told me I should be Elsa because I am older, and baby sister should be Anna. But I knew her hair was coming in blond. And she makes the cutest little Elsa, if I do say so myself.




And in case you haven't heard of Little Miss Basics you should check them out. They are my favorite under shirts for babies. Their Girlie tee is my favorite. I can put it under any sleeveless dress. And  I knew their long sleeve top would be perfect for my baby Elsa costume. It's form fitting and snug and would look more like Elsa's dress. Plus I can re use it and make any dress perfect for the fall, or in my case winter. My baby was a trooper taking pictures in the Arizona heat. 




Step 1: Using a dress that fits snug cut out a front piece on a fold. I made mine a sweetheart, you could make it straight across to make things easier. Cut out 2 on the fold so you can line it. Also cut out 1 interfacing to make it stiffer.

Step 2: Cut out four rectangle back pieces and two interfacing

Step 3: Iron interfacing to the wrong side of one of your front pieces.  Sew the 2 front piece, right sides together. Turn it out and press.

Step 4: Iron interfacing to wrong side of 2 of the rectangles. Put the right sides together. Before you sew them together pin in your tulle. I just cut a long piece of tulle and arranged it in a pleat so I could have as much tulle as possible. I sew the rectangle in a U share so only the bottom wasn't' sewn together. Sew and Press

Step 5: Sew sides to front. Because I am not perfect on making pattern pieces I had way more in the back than I needed. I like to play it safe, and I wanted to have enough for the zipper. I just pinned it together. And Later I hand stitched the flaps down, adjusting the extra tulle to fold over.

Step 6: Cut out long rectangles for the Bottom. You can use a dress as a pattern. I made mine longer than the bodice measurement so I could have some gathering. For the back cut two pieces that will be sewn together so make it a big wider to account for the seam allowance of sewing it together.

Step 7: Sew two back skirt pieces together; then sew to the front pieces. I left a slit on both sides. Iron hem and stitch. Pin the skirt to the bodice, matching side seams and such. 


Step 8: Sew together. Then you can sew your zipper to your dress. (kerr-azy story about putting in my 1st zipper. It was the day of Winter Formal in my Jr. year. I went next door to my neighbor to ask her which of the sewing machine feet that I held in my hand was the zipper foot. She looked at me like I was crazy and let me know. And I did it. It wasn't perfect, but hey, I had a dress for that night. And it was an awesome dress)
If you haven't done a zipper, don't be scarred. Sometimes I will read through a tutorial again because my dyslexic brain mixes things up a bit. I like this one here. She is one of my favorite bloggers. Love her!!! And after you put in your awesome zipper, in case it's a little less awesome, the tulle covers it up so we are all good. ;)

Step 9:Hem the very bottom if you haven't done so. Then add a little hook to the top of your zipper.

Notes: I would recommend zig zagging each piece if you use any kind of fraying material. It just makes everything easier. And it will hold up better in the long run.

The wig makes her costume more fun! Years ago when I saw this tutorial I knew if I ever had a daughter, she would need a Rapunzel wig. I added some bangs and made her braid go to the side to make it look more like Elsa. I would recommend that thick woolly yarn. It makes it easier to cover the cap. You can use different colors. I like that mine has some silver sparkles in it. 

I hope this tutorial help you out. There are patterns available at most fabric stores but my little peanut is just too small for most patterns I find. Happy Sewing!!!


Love my sweet girl! No frozen hearts here with this doll face. More family frozen costume to come...



No comments:

Post a Comment