Thursday, June 18, 2015

General Conference Rolls


General Confernce
Ever since Draco was a baby we have been making these General Conference Rolls. I love traditions. And watch General Conference every April and October is a tradition that is very important to our family. General Conference is a time for us to gather as a church and listen to prophets and apostle of the Lord Jesus Christ. Or in other words, we gather to hear the word of The Lord. Special foods and traditions can remind us of wonderful memories.
My husband grew up with the tradition of having banana pancakes every Sunday of Conference. We would usually head over there and watch it together. Then one weekend they were going away to their cabin. My husband wanted me to make the banana pancakes for our family. But honestly, I’m not really a banana girl.
This was the perfect time to start our own family tradition. I decided to try making homemade cinnamon rolls. Our family loved them and we have been making them ever since. My kids get so excited for conference. Gandalf told me I could be on TV and make these they are that good. We also started making them Christmas morning and I usually take some to our teachers for Teacher Appreciation Week. And they are also perfect for Father’s Day. I love family recipes and I love hearing my boys say they want to make these for their children.

General Confernce rolls
General Conference Cinnamon Rolls
Nutritional Information
Servings Per Recipe: 12
Amount Per Serving
Calories: 525
Carbs:82
{Source: Allrecipes}
Ingredients:
1 cup warm milk
2 eggs, room temperature
½ c margarine, melted
4 ½ c bread flour
1 t salt
½ c white sugar
2 ½ t bread machine yeast.
1 c brown sugar
1 ½ T ground cinnamon
1/3 c butter, softened
1-5oz package of cream cheese
1/2  c butter
2 c confectioners’ sugar
½ t vanilla
1/8 t salt
Place ingredients in the pan of the bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Select dough cycle; press start.
IMG_7114
After the dough has doubled in size turn it out on a lightly floured surface. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. In a small bowl, combine cinnamon and brown sugar. Roll dough into a 16x21 inch rectangle. Spread dough with 1/3 c butter and sprinkle with sugar mixture. Roll up dough and cut into 12 rolls. Place rolls in a greased 9x13 pan. I leave my out overnight. Bake rolls at 400* for 10-15 minutes. Beat cream cheese, sugar, salt, vanilla, and spread on rolls. Serve warm.
 
I started making 24 rolls instead of 12 to cut down the carb amount after Draco was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. My friend Alex gave me the tip to leave them out overnight. They taste so much better and I get so much more sleep. I also frost them as we eat them. They usually last a couple days unless we are having conference with extended family. It is easier to re-heat them that way. Re-heated frosting isn’t nearly as tasty.
I hope you enjoy this recipe and it becomes a family favorite in your family too!


No comments:

Post a Comment